Mr Jānis Pleps
Mr Jānis Pleps was an Adviser for Constitutional Affairs to President of Latvia Raimonds Vējonis since August 2015. He is also an Assistant Professor and Head of the Department of Legal Theory and History at the Faculty of Law of the University of Latvia.
In addition to experience at the Chancery of the President of Latvia, Mr Jānis Pleps has worked at the Legal Service of the Parliament of Latvia as legal adviser, later – as senior legal adviser. From 2005 to 2008, he was assistant to justice at the Constitutional Court of Latvia. Mr Jānis Pleps has acquired additional academic experience as lecturer at the Business Administration School “Turība” and as lead researcher at the Business Technology Institute. As legal editor, Mr Jānis Pleps participated in the development of the weekly legal journal “Jurista Vārds”. He is a former member of the Expert Group for Governance Improvement created by President of Latvia Andris Bērziņš. Mr Jānis Pleps is a member of the Sectoral Editorial Board of the National Encyclopaedia since 2015.
Mr Jānis Pleps holds a PhD in Legal Theory and History from the University of Latvia and is author or co-author of more than 120 scientific publications in constitutional law, legal theory and history, and administrative law. He has presented reports in more than 50 scientific conferences.
- 2011 – Doctor of Law degree in Law Theory and History, University of Latvia, Faculty of Law
- 2006 – Master's degree in Social Sciences, University of Latvia, Faculty of Law
- 2005 – Lawyer, 5th level of professional qualification, University of Latvia, Faculty of Law
- 2000 – Secondary general education, Ilukste Secondary School No. 1
- From August 2015 to July 2019 – Advisor to the President of Constitutional Law
- From December 2013 to January 2015 – Saeima of the Republic of Latvia, Senior Legal Adviser, Law Office
- Since June 2013 – University of Latvia, Faculty of Law, Head of the Department of Law Theory and History
- Since March 2013 – University of Latvia, Faculty of Law, Associate Professor, Department of Legal Theory and History
- From June 2011 to June 2017 – Senior Researcher, Institute of Business Technology, School of Business Administration Turiba
- From April 2011 to February 2013 – University of Latvia, Faculty of Law, Lecturer, Department of Theory and History of Law
- From January 2008 to December 2013 – Saeima of the Republic of Latvia, Legal Adviser of the Law Office
- From September 2007 to April 2011 – Turiba University, Faculty of Law, Lecturer, Department of Public Law
- From August 2005 to January 2008 – Constitutional Court of the Republic of Latvia, Assistant to the judge
- From April 2005 to August 2012 – Editor-in-Chief of the JSC “Latvijas Vestnesis”, weekly magazine “Jurista Vārds” (December 2007 – March 2009 also acting editor-in-chief)
- From July 2004 to July 2005 – Administrative District Court, Assistant to the Judge