Ms Irēna Kucina
Ms Irēna Kucina was the Deputy State Sectary on Court Matters at the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Latvia 6 years and Agent of the Republic of Latvia before the Court of Justice of the European Union about 3 years. She led the elaboration of the policy related to the judicial matters, ensured the administration and strengthening the capacity of the judiciary at the national level. In the framework of her extensive professional experience in the Ministry of Justice since 2006, Ms Irēna Kucina was Director of the Department for Cooperation with the European Court of Justice (ECJ), led the work of the Civil Law Department, and the Private International Law Unit before.
Beside the broad professional experience, she has strong academic background, specialising in private international law and being elected as Associated Professor of the Faculty of Law in the University of Latvia. She is also a lecturer of the Latvian Judicial Training Centre. She is author of numerous publications in the area of private international law and judicial system; she has conducted several researches and is actively involved in the Twinning projects as the project leader and expert on the different aspects related to the strengthening of the judiciary.
Ms Irēna Kucina holds a PhD in International Law from the University of Latvia.
- 2011 – Doctor of Law degree in International Law, University of Latvia
- 2007 – Master of Social Sciences, University of Latvia
- From August 2013 to July 2019 – Deputy State Secretary for Justice, Ministry of Justice
- Since December 2016 – Representative of the Republic of Latvia in the European Court of Justice
- Since 2002 – Ministry of Justice – Head of the Department of Civil Law, Head of the European Union Court of Justice, Head of the International Private Law Department of the Department of Civil Law, Legal Adviser
- Since December 2016 – Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Latvia
- Since January 2013 – Associate Professor, Department of International and European Law, Faculty of Law, University of Latvia
- From 2008 to January 2013 – Lecturer, Department of International and European Law, Faculty of Law, University of Latvia
- Since 2006 – Lecturer, Latvian Judicial Training Center
- Since 2011 – Visiting Lecturer, European Academy of Law