Ms Laila Jurcēna
Ms Laila Jurcēna has been an expert at the German International Cooperation Agency (Deutsche Gesellschaftfür Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH) in the implementation of the “Justice Program in the Kyrgyz Republic – Phase 2” in cooperation with the Constitutional Chamber of the Kyrgyz Republic, the Supreme Court, and the Free Legal Aid Centre since 2018. Before working for the International Cooperation Agency, Ms Laila Jurcēna has fifteen years of experience at the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Latvia working as an assistant judge, later as an Advisor to the President of the Constitutional Court of Latvia. Ms Laila Jurcēna was a representative of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Latvia to the Joint Council “Democracy through Law” of the Council of Europe Commission.
Along with extensive experience in the Constitutional Court, Ms Laila Jurcēna has served as a Legal Counsel for the Judicial Council, was a member in the working groups of the European Association of Judicial Councils (ENCJ) elaborating guidelines on issues related to the judicial system and the status of judges. She was also a lecturer at the School of Public Administration of the Republic of Latvia.
Ms Laila Jurcēna holds a Master's Degree of law in Social Sciences from the University of Latvia.
- 2014 – Doctoral program in Law, School of Business Administration Turība
- 2003 – Master’s degree of social sciences in law (Constitutional and administrative law), Faculty of Law, University of Latvia
- 2002 – Lawyer qualification, University of Latvia, Faculty of Law
- 1994 – Bachelor's degree in teaching, qualification of teacher of job training and visual arts, Faculty of Teacher Training and Psychology, University of Latvia
- 1988 – Secondary education, Ogre Secondary School
- 2019.07. – present – Deputy Head of the Chancery of the President of Latvia
- 2018.10. – 2019.07. – Expert in the EU-German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development – funded program “Justice in Kyrgyzstan. Phase 2”, German International Cooperation Agency
- 2007.02. – 2018.10. – Adviser of the President of the Constitutional Court of Latvia
- 2014.02. – 2015.09. – Legal Counsel of the Council of Justice, Supreme Court of Latvia
- 2004.02. – 2007.02. – Assistant Judge, Constitutional Court of Latvia
- 2007.07. – 2010.11. – Lawyer – Purchasing Specialist, Government Agency “Pauls Stradins Historical Museum of Medicine”
- 2004.05. – 2009.03. – Organising and conducting of course “Public Procurement Procedures in the European Union” and “Public Procurement Procedures”, School of Public Administration
- 2006.06. – 2007.05., 2008.04. – 2008.06., 2009.02. – 2009.04. – Lawyer – Procurement Specialist Government Agency “Tēvijas sargs”
- 2005.03. – 2007.10. – Lawyer – Procurement Specialist, Social Integration Fund
- 2001.11. – 2003.06. – Procurement Specialist, State Social Insurance Agency
- 2001.01. – 2001.10. – Legal Adviser, Office of Sworn Notary Baiba Dambe
- 2012.04. – 2015.09. – Working in the framework of the Joint Council on Constitutional Justice, the European Commission for Democracy through Law (Venice Commission)
- 2012–2016 – Working groups of the European Network of Councils for the Judiciary